Moissanite is an exquisitely beautiful gemstone, and is an excellent choice for an affordable engagement ring. It’s nearly as hard as diamond and will last a lifetime, guaranteed. With more fire and brilliance than a diamond, it’s an eye-catching center stone that will light up a room.
Moissanite is one of the most beautiful gemstones in the world
Many see more sparkle, fire and brightness from a moissanite than from a diamond.
- Moissanite is more brilliant than a diamond on the Brilliance Refractive Index (which measures a gem’s sparkle).
- Moissanite has a greater dispersion and iridescence (commonly referred to as “fire”) than a diamond.
- Moissanite has double the brightness of a diamond: It’s twice as refractive as a diamond. Refractivity is how many times light is “bent” when it passes through a gemstone.
Now a lab-created stunner
The naturally occurring mineral moissanite was discovered by Henri Moissan while examining rock samples from a meteor crater located in Canyon Diablo, Arizona. Henri mistakenly identified moissanite as a diamond, but later he correctly identified the crystals as silicon carbide. This mineral form of silicon carbide was named “Moissanite” in honor of Henri, later on in his life.
While moissanite is a naturally occurring material, it is incredibly rare to find. In 1998, the lab creation of moissanite was perfected through a sophisticated, scientific process and then offered widely to the consumer market.
An affordable, durable, and eco-conscious alternative to a mined diamond
The moissanite gemstones we offer are exclusively lab created. Moissanite gemstones are colorless (graded D, E, or F), of high clarity (VS1 or better), and are manufactured to an Excellent Cut, Polish and Symmetry.
- Moissanite is extremely durable and can be set and finished into all types of fine jewelry.
- Moissanite ranks on the Mohs hardness scale at 9.25 or better.
- Moissanite is less susceptible to cracking and chipping than a diamond as it has greater tensile strength and is less brittle than diamond.